Wednesday 3 August 2011

David Dhawan thanks Akshay Kumar for signing son`s film

Filmmaker David Dhawan says he can`t thank Akshay Kumar enough for saying `yes` to his son Rohit`s debut directorial `Desi Boyz`.

Though the comedy king maintains that Rohit bagged the film on the merits of its script, he doesn`t deny that in an industry where not many stars are willing to even listen to a narration, Akshay stood by his promise of starting a film with the youngster.

"It is Akshay`s generosity that he said yes to making a film with a newcomer. Rohit didn`t get the film because his father is a director; he got it based on what he narrated to Akshay.

"Some may say that it was always on the cards but I know that it is not that simple. I have been in the industry for three decades; despite filmy connections, one has to slog hard before something really materialises," David told reporters.



Though David`s affinity has lied mainly with Govinda, Salman Khan and Anil Kapoor, he shares a good professional relationship with Akshay as well after working with him in `Mujhse Shaadi Karogi` and `Mr And Mrs Khiladi`.

Now his son`s `Desi Boyz` is in progress and Rohit is in constant touch with his dad and exchanges notes and takes suggestions about the making of the film.

"As a father and son we have a great bonding while as professionals too we share our views. I discuss my film with him. We are growing with each other and are well aware about the progress of each other`s films," said David.

After directing 40 odd films, David is now happy to be working at his own free will. In the last five years, he has directed only four films - `Partner`, `Do Knot Disturb`, `Hook Ya Crook` and `Rascals`, which is now all set for release.

Happy about not being associated with any camps or arm twisted by any corporate or independent production house, Dhawan claims that he has managed to be in a comfortable state today as he has always avoided sycophancy.

"I am not a `chamcha` director. Neither do I butter up anyone nor do I allow anyone to become too close to me. I shoo away any sycophancy whatsoever and just enjoy my work," he said.

The `Hero No 1` director is still pretty active in the business despite being around for almost 25 years.

"It may sound immodest but then there is some branding that I have managed for myself over the years. People love my films and I am my own name. I have worked mainly with stars and superstars but I don`t mind working with newcomers either provided they show some spark and promise."

David ruled right through the 90s with films that were a blend of action, comedy, romance and a fair bit of melodrama. Though in the 2000s masala went out of fashion, it is now back in vogue with numerous filmmakers waking up to the genre.

"I have always advised budding filmmakers to never let go off the basics. The director in me is elated today to see the revival of `masala` films. I have kept that in mind while making `Rascals` as well. It is what you call vintage entertainment," said David.

Also starring Arjun Rampal, Kangna Ranaut, Chunky Pandey and Satish Kaushik, `Rascals` releases on October 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment